Pages

Wednesday 18 March 2009

some talk



I







swot |2009-03-17 09:14:48
And with one scoop, your site has scalped everybody else's. Hope you have a
traffic counter to monitor your hits. Congratulations. As for the Indon market
the Avanza and Innova rules, unless you can compete on boot space as well. See
if the Exora can become the next 7 seater taxi of choice there.
koodiamond |2009-03-17 09:53:48
Oh, I'm :X from all the gushing. Purleezee Mel...

Among other wonderful
benefits, your good report informs me that the driving dynamics of the new
Proton MPV is as good as a BMW X5.

:whistle:

Looks like, with this little
baby, we will be poised to conquer the world?

Woo hoo, Malaysia will be raking
in them Ringgit. Today, Malaysia, tomorrow the the world!

Imagine, for RM80k,
an MPV that can seat 7, and drives as well as a 5-series SAV which costs 7 times
more.

Sure or not?

I'll believe it when we achieve worldwide recognition for
such a 8th motoring wonder...until then :huh: and ;) and also :confused:
Matthew Seleigh |2009-03-17 10:25:08
Diesels are not particularly popular in Asia, and research indicates the primary
reason is image.

In many Asian countries - notably Japan and China - the
image of diesel powered vehicles is chained to commercial vehicles. This is the
primary reason that diesel passenger cars are many slow headway - if any - in
this neighbourhood.

Malaysia gets another one-two hit as well; the putrid
quality of diesel as Mel has already said and the fact that road tax for diesels
was demonstrably higher than petrol vehicles (I say 'was' because I have been
told this anomaly has ended). In the case of a passenger car it could be as much
as seven times higher for a diesel-powered car than an equivalent petrol model.


I guess that's where the diesel subsidy came from - you merely paid it to
yourself separately.

Australia had a brief flirtation with diesel cars a year
or so back, but the better fuel economy was hammered by the fact diesel is
considerably more expensive than petrol in the big red land to the south and
you'd have to drive a helluva lot to save through improved fuel economy what the
added expense of diesel engine brought to the on-road price.

Matt
justin |2009-03-17 10:52:18
It's a vicious cycle.

Bad diesel means only bad diesel engines, means only old
cars, means bad image, means no demand, means bad diesel stays.
mel |2009-03-17 14:21:32
Hey Diamond Koo aka K2H - I will take you for the drive of your life when I have
the Exora Manual. Up to it? With a name like yours, you should refrain from
using so many emoticons.
Arise |2009-03-18 03:33:52
Mel,
Any infor on the turbo charged engine as well as the diesel one ? Thanks.
mel |2009-03-18 06:00:05
They will turbocharge the 1.6L Campro CPS. No further details. There is no
diesel option. I am only saying that they should have one.
mel |2009-03-18 06:09:34
Hey Diamond, my X5 reference will get a lot of guys hot under the collar; they
won't get the gist of the argument - the Exora is a more balanced entity for
on-the-edge handling.

To prove this point, I suggest you lay your hands on
an X5, no matter the version - the larger the engine capacity the better for my
argument - and I will choose the Exora Manual.

We can race down any
significant mountain stretch - Genting, Bukit Tinggi, Frasers,
Bentong-to-The-Gap - IN THE WET!!

You will then see what I mean by
'balance'.

Too many people mistake sheer power, and a high price, for
ability.
Arise |2009-03-18 06:35:34
Hi Mel,
May I be your passenger when the fun begins ?
mel |2009-03-18 07:17:52
I would love for you guys to ride with Tengku Azizan, and have him teach you how
to drive on a skidpan - sideways for as long as you can take it. I have yet to
master that!
koodiamond |2009-03-18 09:05:59
Hey there Mel.

Sorry for the decorative, obnoxious smileys (thought your
comments page need a little colour).

Can't borrow an X5. I mean, really, who
can? And to loan it to...err...race (to win, I expect) down a twisty, wet
mountain road. Woa.

BTW, is it going to be with 6 other passengers on board or
single driver only race? Just asking...

But I sure would love to go for that
Exora manual ride tho.

Cheers.

PS Hope you get more traffic soon..it's rather
eerie around your site. This wee little section has but a dozen comments, and 4
are admin chaps! Go drive more traffic here. Go, go, go, drive like the Exora.
fordylyngam |2009-03-18 09:54:45
Hi Mel,

It’s been a long time since I have read your work on the local
automotive scene.I’ve been a regular follower since your days in
Asian Auto. I used to follow your reviews and opnions as it was well
balanced and very objective driven.....objective by which I mean in
the interest of car buyers. However, did not get the same Mel factor
in Cars.my though.
And now...lastcaronearth.com

Seems like your work
is spiraling downwards..Nowadays your articles are all bout your self
glory between the lines..

Your musings on the Exora is almost a dream
come true for Proton. I have never seen anyone polish an apple so
bright till it blinds the eyes..

If I remember correctly, you were the
total opposite during the days when Tengku Mahaleel was at
the helm…Proton was at the receiving end of your stick at almost any
occasion be it a new car launch or a test drive..

Then
all changed……suddenly you are Proton’s no 1 fan..and part of the
team…I wonder how that came to be..

**Footnote: When other journalists got wind of my drive session they
lobbied the Proton management for their turn. The bosses acquiesced,
and arranged for them to have a go at the MPV, with the understanding
that they would report on it this Sunday. I was asked to comply with
this embargo. My reply was: I did not work so hard all these years
just so others can enjoy the influence and privileges I earned. And I sure
did not give up publishing magazines AND not enjoy the gratification
of this real-time medium. Get used to the brave new world, guys.


Hahaha…this footnote is a joke, I have been in the industry to know
that car manufacturers/companies invite all the journalist at one go
because I myself have organized test drives and I know how the invites are
made..
There seems to be a lot of angst there….why? other people
beating you to it?..or you are getting a bit insecure?

And then,
this..this has to take the cake!

**“This MPV took to the long and fast sweepers of Karak Highway with an
aplomb that no other people-carrier, with the exception of the
BMW tourers (which are stationwagons), can hope to match”
:shock:

I do not know how you qualify this…but my question to you, are
you saying that Proton produced a product that can match BMW tourers
in the handling department when BMW spends a bomb perfecting their vehicle
handling though R&D and technological advancement?

No comments: