Pages

Wednesday 18 March 2009

FOOD for thought

fordylyngam |2009-03-19 06:12:44

Dear Mel,

For someone who has been a regular face in the Malaysian
motoring industry which has seen some exciting changes over the last
two decades, I certainly did not expect such an answer.

You sound
like a lover scorned...

Your angst is your own doing... which you may not
agree but nevertheless if you take a step back and look at the big
picture you will be able to see that the wind of change swept by and you
did nothing but stood there and watched.

I have been involved in the
industry both directly and indirectly since 1996... I am familiar with you
work along with your peers in the industry such as the late
Louis Cheang, Chips, Leeps, Chris Wee and Paul Si among others.

You
blame the world changing around you...but what have you done ride the
change man? Come on Mel, I am sure you would have seen this day
coming...

You are absolutely right when you say "the business world suddenly turned all young executives and
managers" but i dont agree when you say that they are "people who don't give a shit about magazines and veteran
journalists."

The young generation are indeed an interesting lot. They are now more
open to new channels or mediums that help them gain knowledge and
share that knowledge.

It is their job to look for new information
channels beyond magazines and other form of print and boradcast media.


You should stop bitching about them and the new crop of journalist
in this new age and figure out how you can add value to your clients and
your readers as well as attract a new generation of readers.

You are
bickering about computer nerds like PT who in your mind seem to have
eclipsed you in the world of motoring journalism. Come on, he came from
the generation that you now loathe. He saw an opportunity, took it and
made the best out of it because he is able to relate to his generation
of peers.

Don't forget your peers. Look at Chips Yap, he is a veteran
motoring journalist just like you. Didn't he ride the change
with Autoworld.com.my with YS Khong?..I signed up on that site in 2004
and I remember it being around in 2003. Then he moved to MotorTrader in
2004 building a loyal reader base. Let's not go far, Asian Auto had an
internet presence in 2005.

This was well before PT's time.

Your peers
embraced change...surely you would have noticed. But I don't
understand why you did not(notice).

Dont be a sour puss.

I say you failed
to engage the young generation. You failed to make the best of
your life-changing scenario.

continues>>

Quote
1 0
fordylyngam |2009-03-19 06:16:16
continued from above

It’s new world that requires you need to be creative. And when I say
creative, I certainly do not refer to laying out a few photos
among paragraphs of text..everyone can do that.

You need to be
creative in embracing and adapting to change.

Marketing and PR have
changed tremendously. As a stakeholder in the motoring industry I am
obliged to inform you that we are looking for new ideas, new channels and
new platfoms
to reach out to our target audience.

If the goalpost
moves, you just have to drible the ball and score from a different
angle!

Dont wait and cry foul when your opponent gets creative
and scores!

Time and tide wait for no man.


And by the way.. I
can't walk a mile in your shoe because I never had an easy life.

And I
dont know if my friends are proud of me, What matters most is that I
am proud of what I have achieved in life.

No comments: